It’s our very first outside guest, Courtney Masterson!! Listen in for the scoop on native plants’ role in our environment, happenings around town, and lots of local resources.
O&P Show Notes
- It’s Read Across Lawrence time!! The book is Interior Chinatown by Charles Yu.
- Check out the book!
- Keep an eye on our Instagram and Facebook for giveaways!
- Info Services is putting on an Affordable Housing Forum on April 4.
- Marc is joining us full-time!!! Yay! Find our Community Resources page here.
- Book Squad podcast is back on!! If you like our podcast, theirs is 10x better.
Courtney Masterson is an ecologist, and owns and operates Native Lands, LLC
“What is the most important thing to know about native plants?”
- They do so much work in the ecosystem!
- The key to understanding native plants is to emulate what nature does. Learn about cold stratification here and how to germinate at Prairie Moon Nursery.
- Deep Roots
- Missouri Prairie Foundation/Grow Native
- Botanical Belonging
- McGregor Herbarium in Lawrence!!
What’s going on out at the dog park?
- Sericea lespedeza started taking over! Kansas Biological Survey + Heritage Conservation Council + Parks and Recreation + Native Lands, LLC + Jayhawk Audubon are working to make the site resemble prairie.
- May 14th and May 28th: public wildflower planting dates!
Info about restoration community work days:
- Friends of the Kaw events
- Grassland Heritage Foundation events
- Kansas Biological Survey
- KU Field Station
- Native Lands
Local Native Plant Nurseries:
- Check for local native plant sale fundraisers! (Monarch Watch, Grassland Heritage Foundation, Master Gardeners, etc.)
- Happy Apple's Farm
- Sow Wild Natives
- (Online resource) Missouri Wildflower Nursery
Also: go to Nature Book Club!
Courtney is reading...
- Enduring Seeds by Gary Paul Nabhan
- Sorry, LPL doesn’t have this book yet but we’ve put in a request!
Ruby is reading...
Hazlett is reading...
Got a question for Info Services? We want to help!
Email: email@example.com | Chat: lplks.org/live-chat | Visit: lplks.org