2021 Tax Information
Paper 1040 and 1040-SR forms and instructions booklets are available at the library.
State tax forms are not available at the library. For paper forms, contact the Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center at (785) 368-8222.
While many tax forms can be printed from the IRS website, employer returns such as W-2 and information returns such as 1099-MISC must be ordered from the IRS. Please consult the following information for access to additional forms and tax assistance.
February 12, 2021: The IRS begins accepting tax returns
April 15, 2021May 17, 2021: Tax return filing deadline
Federal tax forms, instruction booklets and supplemental forms are available online at www.irs.gov/forms-instructions or can be requested at 1-800-829-3676.
Local IRS Offices:
- Topeka Office:
(785) 235-3053, M-F 8:30am-4:30pm (closed 12:30-1:30pm)
120 S.E. Sixth Ave., Topeka, KS 66603
- Overland Park Office:
(816) 966-2840, M-F 9am-4:30pm (closed 12:30-1:30pm)
6717 Shawnee Mission Pkwy, Overland Park, KS 66202
Note: Taxpayer Assistance Centers are currently operating by appointment. Call (844) 545-5640 to schedule an appointment.
Telephone assistance for individuals: Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040; M-F 7am-7pm
To order forms by mail: 1-800-829-3676 or http://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/order-products
Kansas State Tax Forms and Publications: https://www.ksrevenue.org/forms-ii.html
Kansas Taxpayer Assistance Center: (785) 368-8222, firstname.lastname@example.org
Scott State Office Building, 120 S.E. 10th Ave., Topeka, KS 66612
- File electronically: https://www.ksrevenue.org/iiwebfile.html
- Additional contact information: https://www.ksrevenue.org/taxcontact.html
- Kansas Tax Form Requests: leave a voicemail at (785) 296-4937, or email email@example.com
- Schedule an in-person Taxpayer Assistance Center visit: https://www.ksrevenue.org/press/2021/pr02172021.html, opens a new window
Some VITA tax preparation services are available by in-person or Zoom appointment this filing season.
1525 West 6th St., Lawrence, KS 66044
- Available to households with income $56,000 or less in 2020
- Appointments available Mon/Wed/Fri 9am-3pm, February 11th – April 7th
- All appointment slots are now full
- Call (785) 856-2694 to schedule an appointment
Kansas Tax-Aide (AARP Foundation Tax-Aide)
1501 Massachusetts St., Lawrence, KS (& more locations around KS)
- Available to anyone, with emphasis on those ages 50 and older
- Call (785) 691-9737 to schedule an appointment
- All appointment slots are now full
- Appointments begin on Mon, February 3rd and will take place Mon-Thurs afternoons and Saturday mornings
- Lawrence AARP site will offer self-service tax preparation
- Questions about non-appointment-related issues? Leave a message with the AARP Tax-Aide Voicemail for Douglas, Jefferson, & Franklin counties: (785) 813-1136
- Available to households with income less than $56,000 in 2020
- Schedule an appointment through Sign-Up Genius: https://bit.ly/3qVIY6y
- Appointments available until April 24th
- Appointments are conducted via Zoom; a computer and internet connection is required. If you do not have regular access to a computer or Wi-Fi, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (785) 843-3833 for assistance booking the public library's private "Zoom room."
- Questions or problems? Contact the VITA office: email email@example.com or call (785) 864-9227
What to Bring to Your VITA Tax Appointment
- Previous year's tax return(s)
- Social Security cards
- Government-issued photo ID for each taxpayer
- Bank account information for direct deposit
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2020
- 1099 forms for other income, if any
- 1095 forms if you purchased health insurance through the Marketplace
- Dependent care provider information: name, address, and tax ID number
- 1098 forms for education expenses
Due to the constraints on VITA services in 2021, taxpayers are encouraged to try out the IRS Free File site (https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/opens a new window).
Other free online options include:
MyFreeTaxes (United Way and H&R Block)
- Available to households with income less than $60,000 in 2020
- Includes both State and Federal filing, as well as any type of filing including self-employment, contract labor, investment income, etc.
- FAQ: MyFreeTaxes.com/support
- National non-profit service that connects you with IRS-certified VITA professionals for free
- Available to households with income less than $66,000 in 2020
- 2-3 business days after you begin the process on GetYourRefund.org, a tax specialist will call you to help you file
- FAQ: getyourrefund.org/en/faq