Health happens at Lawrence Public Library! We offer a variety of reliable information, resources, events, and more to connect our community to health. Our online resources are available at computers within the library or remotely from any computer with a Kansas IP address. All other resources are available at the library. If you need help using these materials or getting started with your research, stop by the Ask Desk, call 785-843-3833, email the reference staff, open a live chat session, or book a librarian.
Have a medical question and looking for a great place to start? Begin with MedlinePlus, and check out the resources below.
Located past nonfiction near the study rooms, the Health Spot at Lawrence Public Library is a partnership between LMH Health and LPL, serving as a location for the community to access health resources in Lawrence through databases, health events, free screenings, and toolkits on healthy lifestyles, and more.
- Periodicals: Browse our collection of health magazines available for checkout.
- Reference: Health reference materials are available for in-library use only.
- Print, Audio, and DVD: Browse our collection of health and medical regular and large print books, CDs, DVDs, and downloadable audio and e-books.
- Health Kits: Available for checkout, these kits contain books, DVDs, activities, and free handouts about general information on specific health topics.
- SAD Lamps: Find tabletop lamps at the Welcome Desk or Health Spot to use anywhere in the library, or check out one of our tablet-sized lamps to use at home or work!
- Events & Programs: Learn about our health-related programming and events on our web calendar, and through our Facebook and Twitter pages.
- How to Evaluate Health Information on the Internet: Created by the National Institutes of Health, this resource uses a series of questions and answers to help identify and evaluate reliable online health information.
Online Health Resources
- Agency for Healthcare Quality and Research From the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, this website provides data resources, publications, research findings and reports, and other resources in an effort to improve safety and quality in healthcare. Información en español.
- ClinicalTrials.gov A National Institutes of Health database of publicly and privately supported clinical studies of human participants conducted around the world.
- Health Source: Nursing and Academic This full-text database offers a trusted source of nursing and allied health literature. Available in the library and remotely from any computer with a Kansas IP address.
- Medline From the National Library of Medicine, this database provides global information on medicine, nursing, dentistry, and other healthcare related topics. Available in the library and remotely from any computer with a Kansas IP address.
- National Institutes of Health Contains an A-Z index of NIH health resources, clinical trials, current medical news, and more. Información en español. Also, an easy guide to using NIH for research can be found here.
- ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Source This full-text database offers reliable, comprehensive coverage of the fields of nursing and allied health including journals, video, dissertations, reference books and more. Available in the library and remotely from any computer with a Kansas IP address.
- Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection This database provides full-text coverage for a broad range of subjects in the fields of psychology, behavioral sciences and related disciplines. Available in the library and remotely from any computer with a Kansas IP address.
- PubMed Central A free full-text archive of peer-reviewed biomedical and life sciences journal literature at the US National Institutes of Health's National Library of Medicine (NIH/NLM).
- Consumer Health Complete Browsable medical database including drug information, topic fact sheets, medical dictionaries, and ebooks. Available in the library and remotely from any computer with a Kansas IP address.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library: Medicine A collection of reference eBooks focused on Consumer Health and Medicine. This requires a Kansas State Library card for access.
- Health Finder From the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, a consumer health resource with news, articles, personal health recommendations, and more.
- Health Source Consumer Provides full-text access to consumer health magazines, reference books and health pamphlets. Available in the library and remotely from any computer with a Kansas IP address.
- Medline Plus – The National Library of Medicine’s user-friendly health database created for consumers. It includes information about health topics, medicine, and supplements, as well as a collection of videos and health tools. Información en español.
- New York Times Health Guide Comprehensive health information website on a large number of health topics, including in-depth articles and archives.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) This U.S. government site provides information on drug safety and availability, clinical trials, specific medications, and health updates.
- LactMed A National Library of Medicine database designed to provide information for breastfeeding families about drugs and chemicals, and adverse side effects.
- Needy Meds An information clearinghouse of assistance programs for affordable medications from pharmaceutical manufacturers and government resources.
- PDRHealth Browsable and comprehensive database of medication information including use, dosage, safety, storage and more about prescription and nonprescription drugs, herbal medicines, and supplements.
- DailyMed The National Library of Medicine, opens a new window (NLM)’s DailyMed searchable database provides the most recent labeling submitted to the Food and Drug Administration, opens a new window (FDA) by companies and currently in use.
Complementary + Alternative Medicine
- Alternative HealthWatch (KSLib) Full-text alternative health research database focused on complementary, holistic and integrated approaches to health care and wellness. Available in the library and remotely from any computer with a Kansas IP address.
- American Botanical Council An independent, nonprofit research and education organization dedicated to providing accurate and reliable information about herbal medicines.
- American Chiropractic Association The American Chiropractic Association provides information about chiropractic and chiropractic education, a directory of practitioners, and health and wellness tips
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) The NCCIH website provides evidence-based information about complementary and integrative or alternative therapies, advice about choosing practitioners, and information about herbs and supplements.
- American Cancer Society Provides basic information about cancer and its causes, as well as in-depth information about specific types of cancer, risk factors, early detection, diagnosis, and treatment options. Información en español.
- National Cancer Institute A National Institute of Health resource providing information about cancer diagnosis, treatment, alternative therapies and more.
Exercise and Nutrition
- Eatright.org From the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics this website includes information on nutrition throughout the lifecycle, advice for achieving and maintaining a healthy weight, information on prevention and management of diseases, and a searchable database of registered dietitian nutritionists.
- Health.gov From the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, this website provides dietary and physical activity guidelines, as well as information from Healthy People 2020 and wellness information from Healthfinder.gov.
- Active At Any Size From the National Institutes of Health, this resource was developed to provide information about exercise needs for any body type, including the best activities to introduce you to being active, how to overcome barriers to exercise, and how to create a long-term exercise plan.
Patient Specific Health Information
You can find more information about specific health needs by following the links below.