Book Van + Home Delivery
LPL will seek to provide library materials to patrons who are homebound and therefore unable to come to the main library, mobile library (Dottie), or remote lockers.
- Patrons must be homebound:
- “Homebound” is defined as being generally confined to one’s residence either temporarily, due to illness or accident; or permanently, due to age or disability.
- If a patron drives or is able to take public transportation to the library, then generally they are not eligible.
- Patrons receiving deliveries from staff must reside within Lawrence city limits.
- A library card must be established and kept in good standing.
- A viable means of contact must be maintained, either phone or email.
- A Home Delivery Application must be completed and an interview conducted with library staff. The library will review and update applications on an annual basis.
Delivery options (choose one):
- Arrange your own delivery with a Homebound Designated Borrower:
- This can be anyone you select (relative, friend, neighbor, nurse, etc) who you are comfortable giving access to your library card account.
- This person will be listed on your account as being allowed to access your account and borrow on your behalf.
- Checkouts will occur on the self checks with your card and PIN. Your designated borrower can retrieve your card number and reset your PIN with Accounts staff by showing a photo ID.
- Pick up and return of materials is arranged by you with your borrower.
- The library will deliver materials to you.
- Materials can be selected directly by you in the form of holds placed through the library’s website, over the phone, or on your behalf by library staff. Deliveries will be made up to once a week when hold items arrive.
- Materials can be selected by home delivery staff based on a list of your preferences. Deliveries will occur up to once a week on a fixed schedule.
- Home delivery staff will accept returns during delivery of new items, or upon request up to once a week.
Additional terms and conditions of service
- Home delivery patrons are subject to all standard borrowing rules. Accounts must be kept in good standing to participate in the service.
- All items borrowed through home delivery will be checked out to the patron’s library card on their behalf either by library staff or by their home delivery designated borrower.
- Home delivery patrons using a designated borrower are responsible for all items borrowed on their behalf. It is the home delivery patron’s responsibility to alert library staff if they wish to restrict a designated borrower from further access to their account.
- The patron will maintain control of their library card for use with our digital collection and for managing their account online.
- Home delivery patrons receiving deliveries from library staff must provide a safe environment for deliveries. The library reserves the right to suspend service if this requirement is not met.
To inquire about Home Delivery Service contact:
- Email Gregor Brune (email@example.com) or
- Call 785-843-3833 ext. 152
Each week, Gregor hits the road in our Book Van to bring fresh books, movies, music, and more to retirement communities throughout Lawrence. It's free, but you'll need a library card to check out items.
- Email Gregor Brune or call 785-843-3833 ext. 152 for more info.
- Anyone can check out items from the Book Van at the sites listed below. You don't need to be a resident of the retirement community to use this service.
- You can return items via the book van.
9-10 AM | Prairie Commons (5121 Congressional Circle)
10:30-11:30 AM | Monterey Village (3901 Peterson Road)
1-2 PM | Vermont Towers (1101 Vermont Street)
9-10 AM | Brandon Woods (1501 Inverness Drive)
10:30-11:30 AM | Arbor Court (1510 St. Andrews Drive)
1-2:00 PM | Presbyterian Manor (1429 Kasold Drive)
9-10 AM | Pioneer Ridge Independent (1000 Wakarusa Dr)
10:30-11:30 AM | Babcock Place (1700 Massachusetts Street)
1-2 PM | Bethel Estates (2140 E. 25th Terrace)
9-10 AM | Clinton Place (2125 Clinton Parkway)
10:30-11:30 AM | Wyndham Place (2551 Crossgate Drive)
1-2 PM | Meadowlark Estates (4430 Bauer Farm Drive)