009 Wondering what to read next? Wondering HOW TO CHOOSE what to read next? Tune into this episode for some good old-fashioned book talk. We're joined by the Queen of All Books Ever (and Readers’ Services Coordinator), Polli! (And if you like this episode, you'll loooove her Book Squad Podcast. Check it out here!)
O&P Show Notes
Book Clubs are happening! Over 80 book clubs happened last year, with 700+ checkouts of Book Club in a Bag. Almost 800 people attended LPL’s book clubs last year, wow!!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested in joining a book club.
- Taxes…Jan 24 is the first day you can start to file your taxes! Find our webpage with so much tax information, including where to get help with filing or questions you have, filing deadlines, etc. We keep this page updated throughout the tax season.
- The IRS is very overwhelmed right now. Here’s an article about it. (Access the digital Washington Post for free through the library.)
- FreeFile is free to use if your annual 2021 income is less than $73,000 (for an individual OR for a household!). Find more info here.
- Rent and Utility Assistance! Marc is here Tuesdays and Saturdays from 1-5 in the library lobby to help you with rent, utility, and SNAP applications.
The 2022 Book Squad Goals.
- All about the Book Squad (including a link to their Personalized Recommendation form so you can get a custom-made book list)
- How to use a QR code (or you can just visit the display in person).
- Book Squad podcast episode on reading slumps and making “reading rules” for yourself.
- Readers’ Advisory
Book Squad Recommendations Form
- Tell us the last book you loved, the last book you liked, and the last book you hated! Then we come up with a list of 3-5 recommendations.
- Find something to read next: Try out Novelist (requires your library card number to log in) and Book Riot
- Books narrated by Bahni Turpin
- You should judge a book by its cover (and other details)! Here’s a checklist of things to look at.
- Book Squad Recommendations Form
- The app for recording your reads that Hazlett couldn't remember: The StoryGraph! It's an alternative to GoodReads, created by Nadia Odunayo, and available as an app and website.
Hazlett is reading...
- In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden. LPL doesn’t have a copy BUT you could order it through interlibrary loan.
The Zoltar Machine recommendation Hazlett couldn’t remember! It was The Door.
Ruby is reading...
Polli does Readers’ Advisory on the spot! She suggests the historical fiction novel about this thing, called The Swans of Fifth Avenue!
Polli is reading...
Got a question for Info Services? We want to help!
Email: email@example.com | Chat: lplks.org/live-chat | Visit: lplks.org