In this episode, Hazlett and Ruby talk Lawrence history! We discuss where in the library you can find books about Lawrence, what our local history room has to offer, what it means to be a hometown librarian, and why Lawrence past is also Lawrence… now times… By the way, 978.165 is actually the call number for Douglas County. But Lawrence is a big part of Douglas County, so we’re calling it a win.
O&P Show Notes
- Social Service Office Hours (we really want you to know about these): lawrence.bibliocommons.com/events/search/q=social%20service%20office%20hours
Lawrence Journal-World article about street names: www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/apr/21/states_confusion/
- Remember, you can read the Lawrence Journal-World for free at the library!
- University Daily Kansan article about numbered street names: www.kansan.com/lawrences-numbered-streets-were-originally-named-for-new-england-public-figures/article_327c5afe-7df1-11e6-82fa-9f1161ee81ae.html
- Visit the Genealogy + Local History page for lots of cool databases! www.lplks.org/resources/genealogy-and-local-history
- The ~ outer circle ~ of resources:
- Hazlett’s history picks (you can check these out!):
- Ruby's history picks (you can use these in the library!):
- Embattled Lawrence: lawrence.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S119C10412
- Lawrence Social Survey: lawrence.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S119C13442
- Common Injurious Insects of Kansas: lawrence.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S119C14281
- 1965 Livestock Brand Book of Kansas: lawrence.bibliocommons.com/v2/record/S119C13507
- Renaming Pinckney/Pinkney neighborhood: www.pinckneyneighborhood.org/reconsidering-our-neighborhood-name
- **Ruby used the outdated term “slave owner” to describe Pinckney during the street renaming discussion, but then she did some reading! Read about why she’s changing her terminology from here on out: www.nps.gov/subjects/undergroundrailroad/language-of-slavery.htm
- Iⁿ ‘zhúje ‘waxóbe (the Big Red Rock): www.robinsonpark1929.com/
Ruby is reading...
No luck this week, try again later!