We are welcoming Mr. Bradley Allen, director of Lawrence Public Library, on this episode of the podcast. Brad's here to help discuss this year's Read Across Lawrence pick, Sourdough. Learn about the power of reading and fermentation aaaand about making milk pickles. Can three Scorpios share one podcast? Oh jeez, tune in to find out... (also, vote for us for Best of Lawrence! #shamelessplug)
Two Book Minimum:
The Cost of Living by Deborah Levy (author of Things I Don't Want to Know and Hot Milk)
- The Night Diary by Veera Hiranandani (2019 John Newberry Medal Honor)
- Boom Town: The Fantastical Saga of Oklahoma City, Its Chaotic Founding , Its Apocalyptic Weather, Its Purloined Basketball Team, and the Dream of Becoming A World-class Metropolis by Sam Anderson .... with this gif (and beard) mentioned by our Meme Queen, Polli Kenn:
She Said / She Said / He Said: Sourdough by Robin Sloan
WHO WORE IT BETTER? Hardcover vs. Paperback:
We could share the regular blurb on the book jacket, but that's boring and THIS is not a boring book. Instead, we'll quote an NPR article because we fancy:
"Think of it like Candide without the pirates. And set in San Francisco.
Wait, that's not quite right.
It's like Fight Club meets The Great British Bake Off. It's like Fight Club if no one got punched. It's like Fight Club if Fight Club was written by someone concerned with a different, quieter kind of revolution, and if Fight Club was all about bread."
As always, we have some epic events going on for Read Across Lawrence. Here are just a few to whet your appetite:
- Feb 16: CSA Meet & Greet @ LPL
Feb 26: Conversation with Sandor Katz: Fermentation Revivalist @ LPL! You can preview his greatness -- and learn to make sauerkraut! -- here:
(If the topic of "Wild Fermentation" interests you, Kate recommends The Wildcrafting Brewer, which almost inspired her to go on a hike. Polli also suggests a fascinating and super sciencey read, I Contain Multitudes.)
- Mar 2: LPL After Hours Fundraiser, check out the details on this amazing fundraising event ("overalls and drinking in the library!") where Robin Sloan will be present! Tickets are $50 for this fundraiser, OR 10 tickets for $450 so grab your book club/your neighborhood/some strangers!
- Mar 3: An Afternoon with Robin Sloan at Liberty Hall
IN ADDITION TO READ ACROSS LAWRENCE, another amazing thing happened to us. Huge shout-out to Kate in Edinburgh, Scotland for the incredible letter, postcards, and handmade bookmarks. Thank you thank you thank you forever. We are compiling a return package for you!
2019 Book Squad Goals Reading Challenge can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/LPLBSG2019
Twice(-ish) a month, the librarians are in, with their favorite recommendations in Two Book Minimum, a toe-to-toe discussion on a book or topic, as well as news from the book world, updates from Lawrence Public Library, and beyond.
This episode was produced by Jim Barnes in the Sound & Vision studio. Our theme song is by Heidi Lynne Gluck. You can find the Book Squad Podcast on iTunes, opens a new window, Stitcher, opens a new window, or SoundCloud, opens a new window. Please subscribe and leave us comments – we’d love to know what you think, and your comments make it easier for other people to find our podcast. Happy reading and listening! xo, Polli & Kate