In this episode, Hazlett and Ruby are joined by Theresa, another member of the Ask Desk team, in a discussion about misinformation, reputable sources, and trying not to let fights over information fracture relationships with loved ones. It gets heavy, folks! Listen in for some straightforward info referrals — we love our health databases! — and some lamenting about social media.
O&P Show Notes
- A short article about the demise of Yahoo! Answers (sad)
- Social Service Office Hours
- The library’s Health + Wellness curated resources
- Ruby recommends these three health databases! You can find them on the page above (lplks.org/health, opens a new window) under General Health:
- Consumer Health Complete
- Health Source Consumer
- Medline Plus
- Health Kits!
- The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions guide to distinguishing fake news (there’s a good infographic!)
- Real News: How Journalism Brings You Accurate Information with Dr. Lisa McLendon (KU)
- One study on the effects of engaging with beliefs that contradict your own (we can help you find more research in this area at the library!)
- Kanopy: Fighting Misinformation Digital Media Literacy (you will need to be logged into Kanopy!)
- Maintenance Phase (podcast) episode with Mike Rothschild