In this episode, Hazlett and Ruby are joined by Theresa, another member of the Ask Desk team, in a discussion about misinformation, reputable sources, and trying not to let fights over information fracture relationships with loved ones. It gets heavy, folks! Listen in for some straightforward info referrals — we love our health databases! — and some lamenting about social media.
Oranges & Peaches is recorded in the SOUND+VISION Studio, opens a new window at Lawrence Public Library. Thanks to Joel Bonner, opens a new window for composing our jingle and editing the show.
O&P Show Notes
- A short article about the demise of Yahoo! Answers (sad)
- Social Service Office Hours
- The library’s Health + Wellness curated resources
- Ruby recommends these three health databases! You can find them on the page above (lplks.org/health, opens a new window) under General Health:
- Consumer Health Complete
- Health Source Consumer
- Medline Plus
- Health Kits!
- The International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions guide to distinguishing fake news (there’s a good infographic!)
- Real News: How Journalism Brings You Accurate Information with Dr. Lisa McLendon (KU)
- One study on the effects of engaging with beliefs that contradict your own (we can help you find more research in this area at the library!)
- Kanopy: Fighting Misinformation Digital Media Literacy (you will need to be logged into Kanopy!)
- Maintenance Phase (podcast) episode with Mike Rothschild
Theresa is reading...
First, We Make the Beast Beautiful
The Essential Dykes to Watch Out for
Ruby is reading...
There's No Such Thing as An Easy Job
Hazlett is reading...
Got a question for us? We want to help!
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Chat: lplks.org/live-chat, opens a new window