We took a break from our usual format to bring you this special episode FULL of ideas for bookish/reading New Year resolutions, and books to help you with your non-book-related resolutions!
Books to help you accomplish your goals:
Bookish resolution ideas:
Listen to MOAR Podcasts
- Teen Creeps — “Join grown-up comedians Kelly Nugent and Lindsay Katai as they discuss the YA pulp fiction of their awkward, neon youth.”
- Smart Podcast Trashy Books — from those smart bitches
- The Blume Saloon — “a sort-of book club … all things Judy Blume, the patron saint of YA, and anything else that pops into our heads. Join us as each week we cover a few more chapters from a favorite Judy novel.”
- Black Chick Lit — “features in-depth discussions of the latest and greatest works penned by black women. Join Danielle and Mollie as they talk prose, judge every character’s decisions and laugh at their own jokes.”
- By The Book — “half reality show, half self-help podcast, and one wild social experiment.”
- Mental Health Book Club Podcast — books with a mental health theme!
- Unfriendly Black Hotties – “global takes on higher ed, books, TV, movies, fashions, culinary arts… and whatever the hell else they feel like.”
- Overdue - “A podcast about the books you’ve been meaning to read”
- The Oral History Podcast – SEX & BOOKS: TWO THINGS THAT ARE BETTER WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT THEM – two YA authors, teen focused but not only for teens, ifyaknowwhatimean
Some ideas for the Book Squad Goals reading challenge for 2018! (Download the PDF)
- Thriller: The Woman in the Window & The upcoming book by B.A. Paris!
- #OwnVoices book: No One is Coming to Save Us & Sour HEART (not Sour Grapes, wtf)
- Book with character’s name in title: Pollyanna & Man Called Ove
- Book about mythical creature: Pete’s Dragon (ha) & The Last Unicorn
- Book about nature: Pilgrim at Tinker Creek & The Home Place
- Book with an LGBTQ+ protag: Bad Boy & Fist of the Spider Woman
- Non-fiction book on topic you don’t know much about: The Morning They Came for Us & The Soul of an Octopus
- Urban Fiction book: Justice Hustlers series by Aya De Leon & Heist
- Anthology of SS by multi authors: Walking the Clouds & Meanwhile, Elsewhere
- Book by author with disability: The Reason I Jump & Run
- True crime book / fic based on true crime: In Cold Blood
- Book set in the future: Never Let Me Go & California
- Book you’ve been meaning to finish: TELL US WHAT YOU’RE READINGGGGGG
Want even MORE recommendations for this year’s BSG? Check out Meredith’s post.
Insta Book Challenge hashtags:
- #BookSquadGoals2018 — let’s get this goin’!
- Rebel Girl Reads
- Victorian Reading Challenge
This episode was produced by Jim Barnes in the Sound & Vision studio. Our theme song is by Heidi Lynne Gluck. You can find the Book Squad Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or SoundCloud. Please subscribe and leave us comments – we’d love to know what you think, and your comments make it easier for other people to find our podcast. Happy reading and listening! xo, Polli & Kate