Well, Polli FINALLY got Kate to read a Jane Austen book. Find out if she hated it as much as she hated the audiobook intro music! Also get some great recommendations for some sweet gay reads and a few new releases coming out this fall!
Two Book Minimum:
- The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai
- Autoboyography by Christina Lauren
- Cantoras by Carolina De Robertis (out in Sept. 2019!)
- The Man They Wanted Me to Be by Jared Yates Sexton
She Said/She Said: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
We don't often tackle classics on this podcast, so this is a rare treat! (..Right?) We do include spoilers because, as they say, it's been out for a "hot century."
Polli also found some fantastic contemporary retellings of Pride and Prejudice set around the world:
- Ayesha at Last by Uzma Jalaluddin
- Pride by Ibi Zoboi (e-audiobook on Hoopla!)
- Unmarriageable by Soniah Kamal
- Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors by Sonali Dev
- Longbourn by Jo Baker
- An Assembly Such as This by Pamela Aiden
- Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Tip: if you're going to listen to the audiobook on Hoopla, go with THIS one to avoid that awful piano intro. And if you want some drama, watch Elizabeth take down Lady Catherine in this clip:
2019 Book Squad Goals Reading Challenge can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/LPLBSG2019
Twice(-ish) a month, the librarians are in, with their favorite recommendations in Two Book Minimum, a toe-to-toe discussion on a book or topic, as well as news from the book world, updates from Lawrence Public Library, and beyond.
This episode was produced by Jim Barnes in the Sound & Vision studio. Our theme song is by Heidi Lynne Gluck. You can find the Book Squad Podcast on iTunes, opens a new window, Stitcher, opens a new window, or SoundCloud, opens a new window. Please subscribe and leave us comments – we’d love to know what you think, and your comments make it easier for other people to find our podcast. Happy reading and listening! xo, Polli & Kate