Our 20th Episode! Jam-packed with Dolly Parton, mythology retellings, Afrofuturism, and a sweet, donut filled romance. All that plus chatting up each other on the Read Across Lawrence book, Wonder which really is, well, wonder-ful!
- Nebula Award finalists announced!
- Carnegie Award WINNERS!
- Dolly Parton will present the 100 millionth book donation from her Imagination Library to the Library of Congress’s collection on Feb. 27.
Two Book Minimum:
- Circe by Madeline Miller (author of Song of Achilles)
- Dumplin’ by Julie Murphy (see also, Whip It!)
- Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond, eds. Bill Campbell and Edward Austin Hall
- The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory
A children's novel by Raquel Jaramillo, under the pen name of R. J. Palacio: "August Pullman was born with a facial difference that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid—but his new classmates can’t get past Auggie’s extraordinary face."
Show-note: doesthedogdie.com tells you, as you might expect, if the dog dies in a book/movie.
What we’re up to // Library news:
- Edible Book Challenge Call for Entries: Pick one book you love and a creative way of interpreting it with edible ingredients! Enter as an individual or team. Bring entries to library between 10-11AM on SAT, March 10. Email Liz at firstname.lastname@example.org for info.
- Lizzie Velasquez talk at Lied Center on SUN 3/11 at 3:30pm. More info here – DON’T MISS THIS!
- As you may have heard several times, LPL made it to the Final Four of the Engaging Local Gov’t Leaders Leslie Knope award for best public library. Reading the comments have made us cry.
Twice a month, the librarians are in, with their favorite recommendations in Two Book Minimum, a toe-to-toe discussion on a book or topic, as well as news from the book world, updates from Lawrence Public Library, and beyond.
This episode was produced by Jim Barnes in the Sound & Vision studio. Our theme song is by Heidi Lynne Gluck. You can find the Book Squad Podcast on iTunesopens a new window, Stitcheropens a new window, or SoundCloudopens a new window. Please subscribe and leave us comments – we’d love to know what you think, and your comments make it easier for other people to find our podcast. Happy reading and listening! xo, Polli & Kate