Did you know it was National Book Month? And National Pickled Pepper Month?? And World Menopause Month??? October is wild, y'all. We decided to combine National Book Month with some of the others and give you reading material to celebrate whatever holiday month you prefer! Except picked peppers -- we forgot books for that one, sorry.
- Roughly a quarter of U.S. adults (27%) say they haven’t read a book in whole or in part in the past year, whether in print, electronic or audio form, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted Jan. 8 to Feb. 7. Is this higher or lower than you'd expect?
- LitHub put together a list of the Best 10 Debut Novels of the Decade ....
National Book (AND EVERYTHING ELSE) Month!
- World Homeless Day is October 10th
- Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
- American Cheese Month (is this America celebrating cheese? Or celebrating American cheese? We just don't know.)
- LGBT History Month:
- Queer X Design: 50 Years of Signs, Symbols, Banners, Logos, and Graphic Arts of LGBTQ by Andrew Raymond Campbell
- Pride:The LGBTQ+ Rights Movement : A Photographic Journey by Christopher Measom
- National Disability Employment Awareness Month:
- More the Same Than Different by Lorraine Cannistra (local author! Also available in book club bag!)
- The Pretty One opens a new windowby Keah Brown (From the disability rights advocate and creator of the #DisabledAndCute viral campaign)
- Haben: The Deafblind Woman Who Conquered Harvard Lawopens a new window by Haben Girma
- Don't Call Me Inspirational A Disabled Feminist Talks Backopens a new window by Harilyn Rousso
- Depression Education/Awareness Month
- Depression in Later Lifeopens a new window by Deborah Serani
- The Hilarious World of Depression is an upcoming book by John Moe, based on his wildly popular podcast!
- Just Peachy: Comics about Depression, Anxiety, Love, and Finding the Humor in Being Sadopens a new window by Holly Chisholm
- Hyperbole and a Half opens a new windowby Allie Brosh
- Who Put This Song On? by Morgan Parker (author of Magical Negro: Poems)
- ***Shout-out to the SAD Lamps available at LPL -- find them here and stay tuned for some "Light" Reading sessions in the auditorium this winter!***
- Family Sexuality Education Month:For Goodness Sex: Changing the Way We Talk to Teens About Sexuality, Values, and Healthopens a new window by Al Vernacchio
- National Liver Awareness Month:
- WINTER DRINKS: 70 ESSENTIAL COLD-WEATHER COCKTAILS by The Editors of Punch
- Liquid Intelligence:The Art and Science of the Perfect Cocktail by Dave Arnold
- World Menopause Month
- National Midwifery Week (earlier this month)
What's Happening in Lawrence?
Paper Plains Literary Festival is coming next spring! Check out the amazing lineup and more details here:
Iris Cliff for the beautiful logo)(huge props to
2019 Book Squad Goals Reading Challenge can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/LPLBSG2019
Twice(-ish) a month, the librarians are in, with their favorite recommendations in Two Book Minimum, a toe-to-toe discussion on a book or topic, as well as news from the book world, updates from Lawrence Public Library, and beyond.
This episode was produced by Jim Barnes in the Sound & Vision studio. Our theme song is by Heidi Lynne Gluck. You can find the Book Squad Podcast on iTunesopens a new window, Stitcheropens a new window, or SoundCloudopens a new window. Please subscribe and leave us comments – we’d love to know what you think, and your comments make it easier for other people to find our podcast. Happy reading and listening! xo, Polli & Kate