Library Reopening Plan
The health and safety of our patrons, staff, and the community at large is our highest priority during this uncertain time. Our main goals are to get books, movies, and music back into your hands, get staff back to work, and see you walk through our doors.
We’re working hard to gradually reopen the library with a phased approach. Please understand that each phase may be reevaluated to conform with the latest orders from the state or county, service demand, library capacity, and the current situation at hand.
PHASE 1 — Building closed to the public with outdoor walk-up services
Launched May 18, 2020
- Building is closed to the public
- Our online library is open 24-7
- HyVee and Checkers book drops are closed
- No library services May 24-25 for Memorial Day
- Main library book drop is open at 7th and Kentucky
- HyVee Smartlocker service resumes
- Returns get quarantined for 3 days before check-in
Begin walk-up holds pick up
If you had holds waiting for you on the shelf before we closed, you’ll be able to pick them up by appointment. Check your email for details about this walk-up-only service.
Begin returning materials
Phase 1 — Walk-up services only
More than 48,000 library items are currently checked out. To avoid an avalanche of returns, you may take your time returning items to the main library drop. Remember, we’re fine free!
PHASE 1.5 — Placing holds resumes
Begins May 26, 2020
PHASE 2 — Limited building access, hours, and services
Begins June 1, 2020
- All services from Phase 1 continue
- The building will be open from 12-6 PM daily
- Building access is limited to areas for holds pickup and checkout using self-check machines
- Wear your face mask inside the library (we'll have extras on hand while supplies last)
- Keep a 6-foot distance between you and others
- Public restrooms in the Main Lobby are open
- HyVee and Checkers book drops reopen
For your protection and ours
Phase 2 — Opening the Main Lobby, Accounts Desk, and self-check machines
Staff and patrons will be required to wear face masks while in the building. As a proactive measure to reduce the spread of COVID-19, our Accounts Desk will feature plexiglass shields. Staff/patron interactions will be reserved only for specific library account questions. We'll refer you to our website for answers whenever possible. Our Facilities crew will be cleaning and disinfecting regularly with heightened attention to high-touch areas.
If you feel sick
We miss being a community hub
We're not quite ready to have you browse the stacks, get coffee with a friend, and read in the "big-window" corners. Your favorite cozy chairs will be back, but for now they're off the floor. We ask that you make your visit short and sweet — just about as long as it takes to grab your holds, check out, and get help with your account.
PHASE 3 — Expanded building access, hours, and services
Date to be determined.
PHASE 4 — Back to “normal” as the library you know and love
Date to be determined.